A survey from the Royal Institute of British Architects about new build homes and it highlights the fact that they are often lacking in storage which can significantly contribute to clutter.
RIBA gives us the astonishing fact that our new build homes in the UK are the smallest in Western Europe so it’s no wonder people are finding it hard to fit in all that’s needed for family life.
Here are some key tips when moving into a new home which doesn’t have space to waste
- Declutter before you move in
- Think about everything you’re planning on taking with you to make sure it really is wanted and needed
- Plan where everything is going to go but don’t add your own storage or furniture unless you have to for the first couple of months. Living in the place is likely to give you a better idea of what you need
- If you have a shed, garage, cellar or attic use them well. Plan what will go in there and don’t allow any unused space to become a dumping ground for items you’re not sure about
- Always try to store or display items where you use them eg find a neat place for your make up where it suits you to apply it; this could be bedroom, bathroom, hall or wherever else is right for your routine
- Every few months review your home and how you use the different rooms and spaces. Be prepared to think creatively
If you have just moved home and taken all your clutter with you and would like some help sorting it all out call Room For Improvement on 0114 2589 353